A letter from Anthony Read, Script Editor to Douglas Adams about his scripts for The Pirate Planet.
The letter reads:
Head of Serials, Drama, Television.
406 Threshold House 2234/6 14th March 1978
Dr. Who 5B
Anthony Read, Script Editor. copy to: Graham Williams
On the basis of the first two scripts this won’t do. The situation is overfamiliar: The dominant Captain and the underground proles working in the mines. There’s no plot development. The situation they are in is not stated until the end of Episode 2. Worse, there’s no threat to The Doctor or to the viewer. We’re doing science fiction remember not comic cuts. The Captain with the parrot is a cod figure out of Treasure Island with jokey lines which will inevitably lead Tom to stop taking himself seriously again. Indeed in Episode 1 p.38 The Doctor has lines like ‘Take me to your leader’ which will start the rot all over again. Again in Episode 2 p.6: The teacups routine is too jokey.
There’s more to it, but I don’t know what it all says.
- doc-the-angels-have-the-phonebox likes this
- gallifreyan-gallimaufry reblogged this from youre-standing-on-my-scarf
- raggedybearcat reblogged this from fabledquill
- sea-major reblogged this from youre-standing-on-my-scarf
- daystarsearcher reblogged this from youre-standing-on-my-scarf
- ray-rabies reblogged this from fabledquill and added:
- ravenskyewalker likes this
- lostthehat likes this
- fabledquill reblogged this from youre-standing-on-my-scarf
- youre-standing-on-my-scarf reblogged this from strag2001 and added:
- strag2001 posted this