The Avengers is a mere 1 million dollars (not even a whole day) away from beating out The Dark Knight as the best comic book adaptation, and the 3rd place spot for best all time domestic gross of a film.
To take the spot of number 2, it needs to go from its current (not counting Friday) sum of $532,463,980 to $658,613,539 to beat Titanic. I think it can do that.
Oh, and to get 3rd place worldwide, it needs another 6 million to beat out Deathly Hallows Part 2.
On its third consecutive weekend in the top charts…
The Avengers has pulled another 55 million this weekend, putting it as the 6th highest grossing film of all time domestically (not adjusted for inflation) right now.
The all time domestic gross list (top 10) is as follows:
NOTE: This is more of an educational post about the top 10 and how inflation affected some of the films.
- Avatar — $760,507,625
- Titanic — $658,524,188
- The Dark Knight — $533,345,358
- Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace — $474,543,918
- Star Wars — $460,998,007
- Marvel’s The Avengers — $457,078,000
- Shrek 2 — $441,226,247
- E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial — $435,110,554
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest — $423,315,812
- The Lion King — $422,738,777
Adjusting for inflation, however, this list changes entirely, pushing The Avengers all the way down to 61. With Adjustment, each film in the top 10 has moved as follows
- Avatar — 1 to 14 (gross adjustedto $770,261,700)
- Titanic — 2 to 5 (gross adjusted to $1,074,235,400)
- The Dark Knight — 3 to 28 (gross adjustedto $588,314,100)
- Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace — 4 to 16 (adjusted gross to $715,276,000
- Star Wars — 5 to 2 (grossadjustedto $1,410,707,200)
- Marvel’s The Avengers — 6 to 61 (no change, as it’s the most current film)
- Shrek 2 — 7 to 31 (gross adjusted to $532,723,300
- E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial — 8 to 4 (gross adjusted to $1,123,489,300)
- Pirates of The Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest — 9 to 45 (gross adjusted to $511,856,700)
- The Lion King — 10 to 18 (gross adjusted to $705,680,400)
Inflation does some crazy things. For the record: all time highest grossing movie adjusted for inflation is Gone With The Wind, with an adjusted gross of $1,600,193,400. It originally stood in 121st place, with a domestic gross of $198,676,459 before inflation.
The Avengers stands in 4 place of the all time worldwide charts.
The top 10 worldwide charts is as follows:
- Avatar — $2,782,275,172
- Titanic — $2,183,524,188
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 — $1,328,111,219
- Marvel’s The Avengers — $1,180,378,000
- Transformers: Dark of The Moon — $1,123,746,996
- The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King — $1,119,929,521
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest — $1,066,179,725
- Toy Story 3 — $1,063,171,911
- Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides — $1,043,871,802
- Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace — $1,027,043,918
All of my information was gathered from Box Office Mojo.
- All time domestic (before inflation).
- All time domestic (adjusted for inflation).
- All time worldwide.
With the upcoming date of April 10 marking the 100 year anniversary the Titanic set sail, the first high res images of the wrecked ship have been released.
On April 10
historians will live tweet the sinking of the Titanic, marking the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the ship. They’re tweeting right now about preparing the ship, etc, and you can follow them at TitanicRealTime.